Waters is located at the southern border of Otsego County in Otsego Lake Township. The town was established in 1872 and was originally named Bradford. Later the name was changed to Wrights and finally Waters. Henry Stephens, Sr. moved his lumbering operation to Waters in 1891. After inheriting his father's fortune, Henry Stephens, Jr. moved to Waters in 1912 and built his home and the largest dairy barn in the state at that time. He also built the famous bottle fence. The barn was later converted into the Waters Inn.
In 1927, Remi and Edna Schotte purchased 1,800 acres which encompassed the Waters area. They donated land for the fire department, post office and township park.
The photos below are from the Otsego Lake Township collection. Many of these pictures are on display at the Township Hall located in downtown Waters.